A pedido de inumeros UK falantes:
Coffee & Walnut Cake
175 g / 6 oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
175 g / 6 oz light muscovado sugar
3 large eggs, beaten
3 tbsp strong black coffee
175 g / 6 oz self-raising flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
115g / 4 oz walnut pieces walnut halves, to decorate
115 g / 4 oz unsalted butter
200 g / 7 oz icing sugar
1 tbsp strong black coffee
½ tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/Gas Mark 4. Grease and base-line two 20 cm / 8 inch sandwich tins.
- Cream together the butter and muscovado sugar until pale and fluffy. Gradually add the eggs, beating well after each addition. Beat in the coffee.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixture, and then fold in lightly and evenly with a metal spoon. Fold in the walnut pieces.
- Divide the mixture between the prepared cake tins and smooth level. Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown and springy to the touch. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- For the frosting, beat together the butter, icing sugar, coffee and vanilla extract, mixing until smooth and creamy.
- Use about half the mixture to sandwich the cakes together, then spread the remaining frosting on top and swirl with a palette knife. Decorate with walnut halves.